Zip drive not working

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 4 01:00:07 UTC 2004

Tom Taylor wrote:
> On Sunday 03 October 2004 15:28, F. Kooman wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 2004-10-03 at 21:02, Leon Stringer wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>My internal Zip drive does not work with FC3t2. It worked on install
>>>with FC2 so I guess it should with FC3?
>>>
>>>(Details below).
>>>
>>>Is this just a bug I should report somewhere? Is this working for anyone
>>>else?
>>
>>A ZIP disk has a fat(32) partition at /dev/hdX4 by default which is a
>>little strange, you can create an ext3 filesystem on them (even directly
>>on /dev/hdX, without a partition table). If you try that it will most
>>likely work. You can't access them in Windows after that of course.
>>
>>But I think it's a bug. HAL/udev? should detect the (fat) partitions on
>>the disk after insertion, even if hdX1 through hdX3 don't exist, and
>>work without a problem.
>>
>>François
>>--
>>Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
>>See http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
>

> Why would udev be involved?  This is not a usb device!. In the first sentence
> it stated "My internal Zip drive" and then the listing of the hwconf showed
> it to be an IDE bus device and "desc: IOMEGA ZIP 250 ATAPI".  The hdx4 does
> sound a bit odd though.
>
> I have a similar device (Iomega ZIP 750 ATAPI) on the IDE bus and it shows up
> as /dev/hdd (/mnt/zip) under FC3t2.
>
> Tom

And, can you mount it as a user?  A recently installed and completely
up2date FC3T2 system will have permissions set in fstab that do not
allow user mounting of any removable media devices.  This is a bug.  I
will report it if someone can tell me for sure which component to file
it against.  There appears to have been a major change in the
organization of software dealing with removable media devices, and I do
not understand the situation well enough to know where to point a finger.

Thanks.

Gerry Tool