hald not running, says it starts, but still not running

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 4 01:23:08 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 09:49 -0400, Andrew wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As root, do this
> hald --daemon=no --verbose=yes
> see what you get...
> Build system reports a new hal package for 10/2 so updating might fix it
> I haven't done that yet. (otherwise drop back to hal-0.2.98cvs20040923
> which works OK)
>
> Andrew

I just booted to FC3T2 and suddenly Removable Storage is working.
Inserting a CD makes it available for mountint from "Computer."  That
did not work yesterday.

My Zip drive still will not mount because the system isn't detecting the
file system type (FAT) on the disk.  This is not normal operation
either.  I'm currently downloading today's updates, so that may make a
change.

hald is running this time.  I ran the command, but since hald is
running, the output probably doesn't mean much.

[root at gstpc-test gerry]# /usr/sbin/hald --daemon=no --verbose=yes
20:21:29.588 [I] hald.c:390: hal 0.2.98.cvs20040929
20:21:29.588 [I] hald.c:394: Will not daemonize
Error binding to /var/run/hal/hotplug_socket: Address already in use

Gerry Tool