Lexmark printer cartridge alignment

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 21:17:20 UTC 2004

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 22:39:48 +0200, huffman at graze.net <huffman at graze.net> wrote:
> All,
>
>     I recently tried to switch my fiancee over to Fedora Core (which is all that
> I use on my desktops) and found one stumbling block for which I couldn't find a
> solution.  She has a small Lexmark inkjet printer - think it's like a Z21 or
> something.  In windows she's able to "align the print cartridges" without which
> both graphics and text that look choppy.  I see no way to do this under linux.
> Can anyone point me in a direction that would help with this issue?

1) Lexmark printers aren't the best choice for linux. Lexmark is
intent on keeping as much information on how to communicate with its
printing products undocumented or at least out of the hands of open
source developers. There is a development kit available from lexmark,
but it provided binary only libraries. Considering the range of
choices in the printing landscale, I doubt lexmark's binary only
approach is going to result in inspiring open source developers to
help out with getting lexmark products fully supported in linux.

2) Lexmark provides proprietary drivers and configuration tools for
some of its printers. So your best bet is to see if Lexmark has
provided a binary driver for that printer.  But it appears lexmark is
not interested in providing equally functional drivers and tools for
both linux and windows, so don't get your hopes up on lexmark's own
linux tools.

2) Z21 or something.... its probably very important to know exactly
which printer model from lexmark you have.
http://linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi?make=Lexmark

-jef"dump the lexmark if you can"spaleta