FAQ, GNOME menus, first questions

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Tue Oct 5 05:43:38 UTC 2004

Hello, everyone:

First time on this list (in fact, first time ever running a beta OS on
my primary work computer, so bear with me). Nice to meet everyone.

I'm running FC3-T2 on an IBM Thinkpad T23. Fairly frequent crashes in
some apps, and my sound does not work (whereas it did in earlier FC
releases and in RHL). Will make a more complete report soon, so I can
start troubleshooting this stuff. For now, though...

	1. Where are the FAQ's for this list and the devel community? Save me
some embarrassment and point me to the primary FM's to R, OK?

	2. How to edit the GNOME menus? I installed Sun StarOffice 7, which
comes with neat little "*.desktop" files already. But where to put them
so all menus for all users show them? (I'd like to put them in the
"Office" category.)

	3. Why the switch to two panels? I now have one narrow panel at the top
of the screen, and another one at the bottom. If I don't like it (and in
the first 12 hours of use, I don't) can I easily switch back to having
one panel at the bottom with everything on it? Or must I manually
dismantle everything and rebuild it <groan>?

	4. Is the "notify the developers" button after a crash useful to you
all, or is it new functionality? I'll be happy to use it if it helps...
should I?

	5. I cannot seem to get my Palm Tungsten T3 to sync via USB. In FC1/FC2
(i.e. last week), "ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/pilot" used to work.
Now, /dev/ttyUSB0 is created and destroyed dynamically and I'm not sure
whether this affects my difficulty. Or must /dev/pilot have a specific
owner and permissions? Any HOWTO for this?

Thanks, and sorry if dropping several questions in one message causes an
inconvenience. Usually I'd create a new thread for each one, but I must
get some of these things corrected quickly.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>