FC3T2 on Inspiron 4100 + ATI - suspend works, resume doesn't

johntrichardson at charter.net johntrichardson at charter.net
Tue Oct 5 20:06:43 UTC 2004

I installed FC3 Test 2 on my Dell Inspiron 4100 with an ATI
Radeon Mobility M6.  I was quite happy that many things which I used to
have to correct myself (with FC1) were already in place.  Nice work.

I noticed that ACPI is setup by default.  In fact, I can now actually
get the computer to suspend with "echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep".  The
problem is that it doesn't always come back up correctly.  It seems
like
about half the time, after I resume, the X11 display has "snow" or
"fog"
on it, like something has bit-bombed the display memory at regular
intervals.

I'm pretty clueless about why this would happen.  I visited the
swsusp.sf.net web page, but it seems to indicate that there is (yet
again) a new suspend (suspend 2).  But to use this, I need to patch,
which is in my previous experience rarely works against the redhat
kernel sources?  (Any reason to keep the redhat kernel?  Are there nice
laptop enhancements in there, like there were in FC1?)

In any case, does someone know a workaround which keeps ACPI working?
I know I can use APM, but ACPI is much more flexible!