FAQ, GNOME menus, first questions

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Tue Oct 5 20:08:08 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 10:57 -0700, Michael Knepher wrote:
> there's still no friendly way to edit the menus, and there probably
> won't be a GNOME-wide tool until 2.10, if not later.

That really is a shame, since not being able to edit the menus to add
stuff is one of the biggest complaints I hear from moderately-clueful
Windows users who would like to switch. Heck, it's one of *my* biggest
beefs and I've been using Linux for years...

> With regard to StarOffice, where does the installer put the *.desktop
> files? Do they have a "Categories=" line, and if so what does it say?

Note that copying those files to /usr/share/applications as someone
suggested worked perfectly and the applications showed up instantly on
the GNOME menu. Nice.

Now, why aren't the StarOffice and MS Office (DOC/XLS) extensions
associated with the correct program? They were correctly set up in FC2
and earlier... what changed? I tried to look for the file associations
but for the life of me could not find them.

Below is the contents of one of them (so7spreadsheet.desktop), located
in /opt/staroffice7/share/gnome/net (there is also a KDE directory).
I've solved this problem with the list's help, so this file is just in
case you're curious:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Terminal=0
Categories=Application;Office;X-Red-Hat-Base;
Icon=/opt/staroffice7/share/icons/calc.png
Exec=/opt/staroffice7/program/scalc %U
Type=Application
Name=StarOffice 7 Spreadsheet
Comment=Create a new spreadsheet
Name[en]=StarOffice 7 Spreadsheet
Name[ru]=StarOffice 7 Электронная таблица
Name[el]=StarOffice 7 Πίνακας
Name[nl]=StarOffice 7 Tabel
Name[fr]=StarOffice 7 Classeur
Name[es]=StarOffice 7 Hoja de cálculo
Name[cd]=StarOffice 7 Crea
Name[it]=StarOffice 7 Tabella
Name[da]=StarOffice 7 Tabel
Name[sv]=StarOffice 7 Tabell
Name[pl]=StarOffice 7 Arkusz
Name[de]=StarOffice 7 Tabelle
Name[ja]=StarOffice 7 表計算
Name[ko]=StarOffice 7 스프레드시트
Name[zh_CN]=StarOffice 7 工作表
Name[zh_TW]=StarOffice 7 工作表
Name[tr]=StarOffice 7 Tablo
Comment[en]=Create a new spreadsheet
Comment[de]=Ein neues Tabellendokument erstellen
Comment[es]=Creación de una nueva hoja de cálculo
Comment[fr]=Création d’un nouveau classeur
Comment[it]=Crea un nuovo foglio elettronico
Comment[ja]=新しい表計算ドキュメントの作成
Comment[ko]=스프레드시트 새로 만들기
Comment[sv]=Skapa ett nytt tabelldokument
Comment[zh_CN]=新建一个工作表
Comment[zh_TW]=新建一個工作表

Thanks!

--