abandoning FC3-T2

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Tue Oct 5 21:32:47 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 16:53 -0400, Nave, Ronald wrote:
> I reinstalled   Fc3-T2 after reaching a corrupt state after running  yum.
>
> Everything looked good until a ran yum again.
>
> Then X stopped working with a script error on startup.
>
> When I rebooted the system froze during bootup at the same point it died
> prior to the reload.
>
> I am giving up on testing at least until   FC3-T3   or FC3 final comes out.

 Maybe this will help:  boot into run level 3, logon as root and fix per
the following using an editor:
Quoting from bugzilla:
Additional Comment #1 From Tim Vismor (tvismor at acm.org)  on 2004-10-05
11:38 -------
I had this problem also. It appears to be caused by modifications to
/etc/X11/xinit/Xclients that resulted in a syntax error. More
specifically, a "fi" is missing in the first if block:

PREFERRED=
if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/desktop ]; then
    . /etc/sysconfig/desktop
    if [ "$DESKTOP" = "GNOME" ]; then