yum with FC3-test2

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Wed Oct 6 02:29:18 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 06 October 2004 00:42, Jim Cornette wrote:

> > I just ran "yum update".on my FC3-test2 system
> > This downloaded about 400 headers
> > (have there really been that number of updates since FC3t2 came out?).
> > It then downloaded about 390 rpms,
> > and exited with the message that it could not find the remaining 10 rpms.

> > In any case, I then ran "yum update" again,
> > and it started to download the 390 rpms again,
> > despite the fact that they are all present in /var/cache/yum/development
> > .
> >
> > Does yum not check to see if it already has rpms?
> > If not, is there any way to stop it downloading them all again?

> The downloading of headers was covered in earlier postings. I believe
> that the discussion talked about which is downloaded and what is only
> compared.

On looking more carefully, I see that yum does not download the whole rpm
a second time,
though it appears to say that is what it is doing.
But it is clear from the size of the download
that it is only downloading a small part of the rpm,
presumably sufficient to ensure that the previous copy is OK.

The fact remains that yum failed, quoting 11 rpms apparently missing.
Error Downloading Packages:
  gnome-vfs2 - 2.8.1-5.i386: failure: Fedora/RPMS/gnome-vfs2-2.8.1-5.i386.rpm
from development: [Errno 256] No more mirrors
 to try.
  gettext - 0.14.1-11.i386: failure: Fedora/RPMS/gettext-0.14.1-11.i386.rpm
from development: [Errno 256] No more mirrors t
o try.

What exactly is one meant to do in such a case?

> Did you get X to work better for you?

Sadly no, there has been no change in the behaviour of xorg
on my Sony C1VFK Picgurebook.
It works only in 8bpp.

--
Timothy Murphy