MySQL 4

Thomas Zehetbauer thomasz at hostmaster.org
Wed Oct 6 19:19:06 UTC 2004

On Mit, 2004-10-06 at 08:06 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> What exactly needs to be fixed in the PHP license?

Whatever prevents RedHat from shipping php-mysql package for MySQL 4.

> Yes, this is the correct procedure.  The software you distribute is under
> the license included with it.  You don't distribute a program that is not
> GPL just because its authors say they will GPL it in the near future.  Red
> Hat Legal also looked over the new license and had some issues with it.

Even when the official website of the copyright owner provides a more
recent and less restrictive license? I guess this is one of the issues
only a judge can decide.

> Evidentally, Legal still has some issues with the "exception clause" that
> MySQL AB put in to overcome the above issues.

Could you please elaborate? If your legal department has a problem with
the GNU Public License (GPL) under which MySQL is currently available
they probably work for the wrong company.

> I'm not a lawyer.  You're not a lawyer (probably).

You are right, but I guess SuSE, Debian, Gentoo, Slackware, Rock Linux
and some more do have lawyers and they all come with MySQL 4.

Tom

--
  T h o m a s   Z e h e t b a u e r   ( TZ251 )
  PGP encrypted mail preferred - KeyID 96FFCB89

Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die.