MySQL 4

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Wed Oct 6 21:14:48 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 11:01:03PM +0200, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> PHP's license needs to be fixed as it is incompatible with the GPL.

The PHP authors don't have a problem with that, nor the apache authors nor
a lot of other programmers. It doesn't look like a long term problem. I'd
hope MySQL and other companies legal people can resolve their concerns but
in the mean time a lot of users whom it affects are just migrating and having
had MySQL change the licensing rules on them don't trust them any more.

> Not necessarily, firstly every lawyer is still human and therefore prone
> to err, secondly a lawyer may legally only advice within certain ethic
> boundaries.

US software, US lawyer, US company, US jurisdiction 8)

Alan