FAQ, GNOME menus, first questions

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Wed Oct 6 21:57:56 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 05:48:56PM -0400, dataangel wrote:
> Why don't Gnome/KDE handle this the way windows does? The start menu is
> just a normal folder, and the program groups are just normal folders,
> with normal files inside of them. When you click start it just displays
> them in a way that's different from when you normally open a folder.
> This makes a lot more sense to me than wasting development time on a
> menu designer.

It might be a nice way to present menus but there are a few little corner
cases we have to deal with

-	Menu items for root only
-	Menu items for one desktop only
-	Menu item translations
-	Binding mime types to applications and helpers

Not only do you need those bindings for "open.." random file but they also
matter for things like Nautilus previews which can be done by helpers provided
by other applications (eg movie viewers can generate preview info for
theora files).

Alan