MySQL 4

Thomas Zehetbauer thomasz at hostmaster.org
Wed Oct 6 22:46:16 UTC 2004

On Mit, 2004-10-06 at 17:47 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> If this is how you feel, if this is the problem you thing needs to be
> addressed, you are definitely in the wrong forum. Fedora/Red Hat
> developers can not 'fix' the php license.

I just question RedHat's decision to favor PHP with it's proprietary
license over GPL licensed MySQL.

> If you are advocating that anyone delibrately choose to ignore the
> terms of licensing agreements that come with each and every open
> source project, you are advocating the destruction of exactly the
> freedoms laid down by the GPL.

I advocate the use of a license (GPL) that forces people to contribute
their work and I don't like the way RedHat is treating MySQL 4. First
they refused to update MySQL because PHP is incompatible with the GPL,
so MySQL AB added the FOSS exception. RedHat still refused to update
MySQL because the new license was only on their website and not in the
distribution. Now there is a new tarball with the FOSS exception inside
but still no RedHat RPMs because OF the FOSS exception. I wonder where
this is going to lead.

Tom

--
  T h o m a s   Z e h e t b a u e r   ( TZ251 )
  PGP encrypted mail preferred - KeyID 96FFCB89

There's too much blood in my caffeine system.