NVIDIA with games experience....

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Wed Oct 6 23:17:25 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 14:18 -0700, Bikehead wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone had any experience with using the NVIDIA
> driver undet FC3 using a game.  I can use the NVIDIA driver under FC3
> sync'ed up to the latest rawhide for the normal desktop.  However, when
> I use neverwinter nights, FPS performance is very bad: about a frame a
> second.  I guess I should be fairly happy it runs at all!

I run Q3, UT2k4, UT2k3, Doom3, Enemy Territory, NWN, ArmyOps.
ArmyOps being a UT2k3 engine game runs very poorly in comparison to the
Windows counterpart, however every other game runs significantly better
(smoother average fps, some literally faster fps) in Linux.

> I do have to run the game as root to overcome some permission problems
> with the NVIDIA devices.

You should not have to do this, and it can lead to other problems (don't
let apps like a game crash while as root, not pretty).  Is this system a
clean install of FC3t2 or an upgrade from a previous version?

I suggest install of the driver by the method I outlined in this
FedoraForum post, using the Livna.org package and a custom kernel
module.

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=106977&postcount=76

The rest of the thread is here, but it is discussing FC2 issues with 4K
stacks so much of it does not apply:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1702&page=3

>   Other than that the game doesn't complain
> about anything, but display performance is slow.

The libraries are not configured properly, this performance is sub-par
even for a GeF1 card.  What hardware to you have? (mobo including
chipset and/or model, and video including make/model)