production usage of test releases. (was abandoning FC3-T2)

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 7 11:35:45 UTC 2004

joelbryan wrote:
> Overall, we have 15 servers, HP Proliant ML110s,
> 7 of these servers have FC2, 3 have Windows 2003, and 5 is dedicated
> for software R&D.
>
> The management let me install those on purpose, the management also
> given me some time to prepare the test releases for me to demonstrate
> to them FC3, for what would it look like, what would they will be
> expecting, and will the students be able to accept the changes of the
> new OS, because they are planning to dual boot XP and FC3 for
> educational purposes.

If no one attempted testing in a production environment, bugs caused by
high loads or corporate use would probably go undetected and propegate
to the final release.

On the bad side is possible data loss or corruption or downing a company
  from functioning. (True live ops would not be wise)

I would not suggest production use of test releases, but simulated tests
in production-like conditions seems fair practice to me.

Jim

--
"If I have trouble installing Linux, something is wrong. Very wrong."

	- Linus Torvalds