fedora-test-list Digest, Vol 8, Issue 33

Mickey Stein yekkim at pacbell.net
Fri Oct 8 13:01:38 UTC 2004

>Message: 4
>Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 17:57:10 -0700
>From: Scott Talbot <talbotscott at cox.net>
>Subject: screensavers - slow
>To: fedora-test-list at redhat.com
>
>Hey all:
>
>Just noticed the Xscreensavers are running about 10% normal speed.  I'm
>pretty sure this is only maybe 2 days, but I can't remember any likely
>updates that might have caused this.  The last time something like this
>happened it was the xorg - GL package I think.  Will bugzilla this if
>anyone else has seen it.
>
>Scott

Scott:

I updated the full dev tree after being out of town a week (yesterday)
and experienced a huge slowdown on all OGL X related processes,
screensavers, UT2003 (Game), etc.

Things of this nature went from good performance to about (as you said)
10% or so. Slow enough to be able to see the page flipping or frame
rate. Anyway, I kept checking the running processes when I noticed that
Xclients & xinitrc were running as subclients of dbus (the 'new'
communications master).

That was news to me since it just seemed like that'd be quite a
bottleneck unless dbus worked perfectly (and perfectly fast). I had the
old copy of xinintrc (which is the script in /etc/X11/xinit that
determines 'how' X is started), so I saved the new one (in case I
bugreported it) and overwrote it, and restarted X. This caused all
performance to go back to 'good' or 'normal'. It also kept Xclients from
being subsidiary to dbus. Everything still works ok, so this is a
useable config and other non-X clients are using dbus to advantage since
they're not as time critical as graphics.

It seems like a dbus performance bug and it definitely is new for this
to be happening. I'm guessing the 2 day old xinintrc package I
downloaded is almost certainly the culprit.  The line with Xclient, when
working quickly and pre-2 days back should appear as follows:

"ps -ef | grep Xc
root     20910 20888  0 Oct07 ?        00:00:00 ssh-agent
/etc/X11/xinit/Xclients"

With the new xinitrc running it appears as above but with dbus-daemon in
front.

Anyway: I'll search bugzilla and if nothing is around will do a bug
report on it.