New kernel, should be the default

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Fri Oct 8 18:56:49 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 12:39, Matias Féliciano wrote:
> We can expect that new kernels are better (bug or security fix).
>
> At that time, new installed kernel are not the default.
>
> $ rpm -q --scripts kernel
> /sbin/new-kernel-pkg --mkinitrd --depmod --install 2.6.8-1.603
>
> Why ?
>
> With FC3, grub show only the default kernel. If you don't take care, you
> can boot with a old kernel (which have a security issue).
>
> Editing /boog/grub/grub.conf should be require only if something goes
> wrong.

Okay here's how it is.

in yum 2.0.X if a new kernel was installed then after the transaction
completed yum would edit the grub.conf or the lilo.conf to make the new
kernel the default.

In yum 2.1.X this feature is not turned on. I've been working on other
code and I've not had a chance to wire it together. I'd like to
implement some code called Xtrigger that menno smits wrote that will
allow for more flexible post-install operations anyway. It's just a
matter of available time.

If it's critical I can re-wire the old code in place but it's not been
on the top of my list.

-sv