FC3T2 system is in an infinite loop of reboots

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Sat Oct 9 03:15:15 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 17:57 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Kevin McConnell <kevymac at yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > --- "Williams Jr, Ernest L." <ernesto at ornl.gov> wrote:
> >
> >> I can get a "grub" prompt.   Any recommendations out
> >> there?   How to
> >> recover?
> >
> > you can get to regular files via the grub prompt. Try
> > checking out your /etc/inittab first to see if your
> > default runlevel is set to 6.
>
> Sorry to butt in here but this caught my attention since I've tried
> repeatedly to view files from grub.
>
> Can you be a little more specific?  Viewing the commands available to
> grub I don't see which one might allow me to view a file.

Example:

grub> find /etc/inittab
 (hd0,2)
 (hd2,2)

grub> cat (hd2,2)/etc/inittab
#
# inittab       This file describes how the INIT process should set up
#               the system in a certain run-level.
#
# Author:       Miquel van Smoorenburg, <miquels at drinkel.nl.mugnet.org>
#               Modified for RHS Linux by Marc Ewing and Donnie Barnes
#

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have
networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:3:initdefault:

# System initialization.
si::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit