New kernel, should be the default

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Sat Oct 9 03:35:31 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 14:56 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> Okay here's how it is.

And we would expect this to be the definitive answer. :-)

> in yum 2.0.X if a new kernel was installed then after the transaction
> completed yum would edit the grub.conf or the lilo.conf to make the new
> kernel the default.

Except, IIRC, if a custom kernel was installed, in which case the
default did not change.

> In yum 2.1.X this feature is not turned on. I've been working on other
> code and I've not had a chance to wire it together. I'd like to
> implement some code called Xtrigger that menno smits wrote that will
> allow for more flexible post-install operations anyway. It's just a
> matter of available time.
>
> If it's critical I can re-wire the old code in place but it's not been
> on the top of my list.

My $0.02 is that it is important to have consistent well-documented
behavior.  Can live with either default as long as I know what to
expect.  Always check grub.conf to be sure, particularly in a test
release.  Looking forward to Xtrigger.

Phil