Too close to doze - nautilus - no prompt for files that exist already

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 10 18:12:47 UTC 2004

Firstly, I think that the file saving dialogbox is becoming close to
being as useless as the windows file saving defaults of recent times.
Just giving one the end directory leaves the user clueless to what the
location of the file is. I like the fully qualified pathnames displayed.

Anyway, that is not the most annoying problem with the new way that
files are saved without prompting the user if the file already exists.
This should not happen.

Another problem with the new file locator is that if you create a new
directory, then click to save a file into the directory, it will crash
your application.

Is this gnome default degradation or an attempt to remove the usefulness
of file managers within the next distribution?

If this is a gnome strategy to emulate windows behavior, it is too
distracting. If they think these changes make sense, I don't see the
rationality to destroy once useful behavior into chaotic and brief
information.

Other than those problems, things looks fairly decent with the FC3
development.

Jim