DVD Video discs are not recognized by FC3T2

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Sun Oct 10 18:14:47 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-10 at 08:47 -0700, Joe wrote:
> I tried putting several DVD Video discs in my DVD
> burner to watch some movies in Mplayer. But I'd say
> 90% of the time, the movie disc isn't recognized
> properly and nautilus puts an icon on the desktop
> called "DVD-ROM Disc" Clicking on the icon gives the
> CD/DVD Creator nautilus window. It thinks it's a DVD-R
> disc. This is obviously wrong.

So, the disc-writer doesn't come up until you click on the icon?
sounds about normal - say there is no default for this media?

> The correct behavior is should give the Volume name of
> the movie and nautilus should automatically launch the
> gmplayer command line I set in nautilus to play DVD
> movies.
>
> What's more interesting is I can do:
> mplayer dvd://1

I did this just yesterday and so far it works consistantly, though I use
dvd://$s. does this not play your movies everytime?

> And the dvd disc plays correctly in mplayer.
>
> Or I can load gmplayer, and set the DVD path to
> /dev/cdrom at select Play DVD from the menu and the
> movie plays!

udev gave me a /dev/dvd already so I didn't change it as I had to in FC2

> This behavior is inconsistent. I'd say 1 out of 8
> tries or so, the disc is properly recognized and
> gmplayer launches. But most of the time, I get the
> CD/DVD Creator window. Since the disc isn't mounted, I
> can eject the discs from the drive without doing
> Right-click Disc Icon->Eject Disc.

so you get the nautilus CD-Creator window upon the disc being read,
without your doing anything? and the default mplayer dvd://1 is in
place? I'd have to guess that there is some problem that nautilus can't
tell that it is a non-blank dvd.

When it does this can you close the window and start mplayer manually?

if not, perhaps a line to mplayer.hu would be good?

> I know my DVD drive works correctly because when I
> dual-boot back to Windows XP, the DVD movies play
> consistently 100% in PowerDVD.
>
> System:
> FC3Test2 synced to RAWHIDE as of Oct. 10, 2004
> DVD Drive: IDE Plextor PX-708A DVDRW+- drive
>
> DVD Movies Tested:
> -Mean Girls
> -Azumanga Daioh
> -Deep Space Nine: Season 7: Disc 3