After rebooting FCt2 /etcfstab is restored

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Sun Oct 10 18:45:29 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-10 at 11:52 -0600, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 10:44:48PM +0600, Alor wrote:
> > After rebooting system any corrections in /etc/fstab are avoid.
> > And I must correct fstab every booting.
> > I insert iocharset parameter in some lines.
>
> You have problems because authors of 'hal' (I think that this is
> 'hal' but a startup interplay is getting more complicated and I am
> not sure anymore what is messing with what) got into a deep funk and
> imagine that they know better than you what should be in your fstab
> and are overwriting it on every boot.

Sigh.

You are describing fstab-sync which is part of hal. Sure, there's
missing a manpage for fstab-sync, that will happen soon, but if you
bothered to look a bit at the software you would find that fstab-sync is
only modifying /etc/fstab entries that has the 'managed' or 'kudzu'
keyword. That's not really different from updfstab.

>   Until we will get back a
> control over what may or may not be modified in /etc/fstab various
> aspects of that will be always totally busted; sometimes in very
> dangerous and surprising ways.

Control of what entries added to fstab-sync will get added to Rawhide
very soon. I'll post a mail to fedora-devel when it is in.

> File a bug in bugzilla.  Complaining on this list has a very
> limited impact.

Constructive mails to this list doesn't have a very limited impact.

Regards,
David