After rebooting FCt2 /etcfstab is restored

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Sun Oct 10 23:46:01 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-10 at 15:24 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 02:45:29PM -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > Sigh.
> >
> > You are describing fstab-sync which is part of hal. Sure, there's
> > missing a manpage for fstab-sync, that will happen soon, but if you
>
> And fstab doesn't reference it (thats a polite hint to make it do so when
> the page is added)

Sure.

> > bothered to look a bit at the software you would find that fstab-sync is
> > only modifying /etc/fstab entries that has the 'managed' or 'kudzu'
> > keyword. That's not really different from updfstab.
>
> What are the locking rules. How do I update fstab without risking hal
> editing the file at the same time ?

hal uses flock(2) and has some checks to see if the file was changed in
the tiny time interval from a) fstab-sync is started; and b) when the
copy is renamed to /etc/fstab (e.g. atomic operation).

> Is that simple or do we want
> "vifstab" like "vipw" ?

No, I don't think we need that - there weren't one with updfstab so why
should there be one now?

David