Re-installing with files/folders in partitions.

Ricardo Veguilla veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu
Mon Oct 11 00:12:23 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 09:23 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> I've noticed a few times that while installing FC, the installer asks if
> you want to format partitions before installing.
>
> Does this mean that I could delete the contents of my partitions (say,
> using a boot disk, or the command prompt in the installer itself) but
> leave my home folders in the right partition?
>
> I want to be able to do a fresh reinstall of FC, but don't want to have
> to copy my home folder back from a file server after the reinstall.  I'm
> hoping that if I use an existing partition, but don't format before
> install that the installer will be smart enough to leave the /home
> directory intact.
>
> Is this possible?

Yes, this is what I'm doing that right now.

LABEL=FC3T2          /
LABEL=HOME           /home

When I update (or install a new distribution in parallel), I set /home
to the appropriate partitions, and add necessary users.

But remember, the you have to tell the installer not to format any
partition you want to reuse.

Regards,

--
Ricardo Veguilla <veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu>