After rebooting FCt2 /etcfstab is restored

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon Oct 11 00:40:58 UTC 2004

> hal uses flock(2) and has some checks to see if the file was changed in
> the tiny time interval from a) fstab-sync is started; and b) when the
> copy is renamed to /etc/fstab (e.g. atomic operation).

Ok that makes sense except for NFS (where disk time and local time tend
to diverge horribly). Also you might want to use posix locks not flock if you
want locks to work across a network - although I cannot see a single reason
why you'd want to do that at the moment.

> > Is that simple or do we want
> > "vifstab" like "vipw" ?
> >

> No, I don't think we need that - there weren't one with updfstab so why
> should there be one now?

updfstab only got run at boot generally. Either way the time checking sounds
a good idea - it means it'll fail safe for users who forget to read the docs

Alan