Too close to doze - nautilus - no prompt for files that exist already

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 11 02:04:19 UTC 2004

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 05:46:34PM -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>>It is starting to look like an intentional destruction of GNOME. I'll
>>try out KDE after a long absense from the manager. My distraction with
>>KDE was too much like windows. I had to use Konquerer to overcome the
>

> Much as I despise the new file selector in Gnome I'm quite sure the folks who
> did it genuinely believe it is better and are still trying improvements
> out. One of the effects of doing new stuff is it has bugs in it.

I understand the problems with attempting new approaches to certain
system tools, file-selectors and other programs. I would just hate for
all of the most despised defaults that are present on alternative OSes
do not find their way into an operating system that is a haven from the
quirks contained in the closed source OS that it is not.

I'll try KDE after upgrading the 491 rpms on this system while using
gnome for a curiousity and what I find sane behavior for a usable
operating system.

I respect the developers, but sometimes emulating features from one OS
might be adding a repulsive feature to fairly sane and enriched with
feedback to the user system. Meaning, I like to know where I am actually
saving the file to. /usr/local/bin, /usr/bin or /bin as an example.

Jim