After rebooting FCt2 /etcfstab is restored

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Oct 11 04:28:46 UTC 2004

On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 09:43:29PM -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-10-10 at 18:20 -0600, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> >
> > That would be nice but so far my experiments do not confirm that.
> > I mean that entries you mention indeed were not touched.  The
> > problem is that new entries, referencing the same devices but
> > with a higher numbered mount points showed up.  Not so great.
> >

> If you're really seeing this it is a bug and should be reported in
> bugzilla.

In some moment I tried to experiment with the stuff in /etc/fstab
and edited seven undesirable (yes, that is the right number)
mountpoint entries which were created for me in /media.  On the next
reboot they were indeed left alone but I got the next seven entries,
with new consecutive names, which had properties like the previous
ones before my edit.

I was told previously that this whole setup is now worked upon so
quite likely it will change (and quite possibly already changed in
some details) so I did not investigate that closer but decided that
I better wait until we will see some well defined development stage
and maybe all that headache will be then allready immaterial.

OTOH we got today an example of a somewhat different grief caused by
blind rewrites of /etc/fstab and that is why I commented.  I would
be quite suprised if still other traps would not be lurking there.
Yes, a temporary solution forwarded by Alan is quite effective but
hopefully we will see something more subtle. :-)

   Thanks,
   Michal