Probably a stupid question, but...

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Tue Oct 12 10:52:26 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 11:44 +0100, Eamonn Sullivan wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:40:10 +0100, Douglas Furlong
> <douglas.furlong at firebox.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 11:33 +0100, Eamonn Sullivan wrote:
> > > I've never used any of the test releases before, so FC3t2 is my first.
> > > Do I have to download and reinstall to try out test3, or do I have it
> > > now by keeping current with up2date?
> > This is a questing that has a not so easy answer.
> >
> > In most cases yes, upgrading through yum will keep your system in the
> > same state as a fresh install of the FCxTx release. However, some times
> > things are set up at install (eg, I believe selinux).
> >
> > The default install of FC3 has started to use LVM by default for hard
> > drive partitions, if you were to try and go from FC2 to FC3 then this
> > would be done.
> >
> > Does that help at all answer your question?

> That helps. I installed FC3T2 on a brand new system I built, so it
> should have the major components, at least. And I seem to be getting
> SELinux updates. I may just skip T3 and waiting for the final release
> next month.

One of the biggest things about installing the Test Releases is to test
the installer to make sure it works on as much hardware as possible.

As such it is beneficial to the development and successful release to
the wild to have each test release installation tested.

--
Douglas Furlong
Systems Administrator