New kernel, should be the default (see also hiddenmenu).

ne... akabi at speakeasy.net
Tue Oct 12 12:32:57 UTC 2004

On Oct 12, 2004 at 04:55, Ricardo Veguilla in a soothing rage wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 17:34 -0700, Tom Mitchell wrote:

>> > In my case you are totally wrong. I want the kernel dl'd, installed
>> > but not defaulted to. When I reboot and determine that I like the
>> > kernel, I can make the necessary adjustments to grub myself.
>>
>> Then I suspect  you are in a group that should be watching
>> the grub directive:
>>
>>     hiddenmenu
You suspect right. I have commented this out after nearly been
bitten by it.

>> I have mixed opinions about which kernel should boot (new and unknown
>> or known).  I do have an opinion that the menu should not be hidden.
>>
>> A hidden menu makes the presence of a new kernel 'invisible'.
>> This has impact in that "users" will not see that there
>> is a new or older safety net kernel.
>>
>> They will also not see a long list of disk space hogs
>> that eventually should be tidied up.
>>
>> The FC3test3 clean install default is "hiddenmenu".
>
>I think that "hiddenmenu" (and defaulting to the latest kernel) are
>appropriate for stable releases, where is reasonable for a user to assume
>that any update was previously tested and won't break his computer
>
>In case of trouble, there should be a very clear[1]
>"press X for advanced/recovery/failsafe options" (show menu)
>

>[1] I don't know how clear this is, ATM.
It is reasonably clear. However, if like me, you have changed the
default countdown in grub to something small, you may have to reboot
a couple of times to read the stuff, hit the <any> key to show the
menu and choose the kernel you want.

N.Emile...
What did Mickey Mouse get for Christmas?

A Dan Quayle watch.

-- heard from a Mike Dukakis field worker
 08:29:19  up 106 days,  1:44,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00