New kernel, should be the default (see also hiddenmenu).

Tom Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 12 19:27:41 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 01:40:41PM -0400, Demond James wrote:
> Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
>
> >Just something that came into my mind when hearing about "hiddenmenu":
> >What will happen to those who are dual-booting windows and Linux? Will
> >the default be hidden, or will they get a menu (windows/linux), and if
> >they press a certain key (might very well be passwd-protected if you
> >have chosen grub-password - so that users can't start an older insecure
> >kernel), the whole menu with all the kernels shows up.
> >
> >Kyrre
> >

> You get the option to press any key within a timeframe which you can
> specify in grub.conf to display the menu.

This is easy enough for us but is this the situation
we want untrained users in.

I did like the visible menu that gave me a clue
that the kernel I would boot was XYZ in a list
of older and newer...

It is easy for me to adjust to my liking but
I have almost convinced myself that hiddenmenu).

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 01:40:41PM -0400, Demond James wrote:
> Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
>
> >Just something that came into my mind when hearing about "hiddenmenu":
> >What will happen to those who are dual-booting windows and Linux? Will
> >the default be hidden, or will they get a menu (windows/linux), and if
> >they press a certain key (might very well be passwd-protected if you
> >have chosen grub-password - so that users can't start an older insecure
> >kernel), the whole menu with all the kernels shows up.
> >
> >Kyrre
> >

> You get the option to press any key within a timeframe which you can
> specify in grub.conf to display the menu.

This is easy enough for us but is this the situation
we want untrained users in.  i.e.  Default kernel does
not boot the new kernel and the presence of a new kernel
is not notified.

N.B. The "red hat network alert notification tool"
will tell users that there is a newer kernel and
advise them to reboot.  These instructions are not
sufficient for the untrained because the reboot will
not boot the new kernel.

I did like the visible menu that gave me a clue
that the kernel I would boot was XYZ in a list
of older and newer...

It is easy for me to adjust this to my liking now that I know about it.
I have almost convinced myself that the current hiddenmenu line in
the default /boot/grub/grub.conf file is a bug.

It is easy and makes sense for a site admin to hide the menu.

Perhaps the goal is to expose this option so all the FAQ's in the
universe get populated with information on this.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	May your cup runneth over with goodness and mercy