New kernel, should be the default (see also hiddenmenu).

Ricardo Veguilla veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu
Tue Oct 12 20:43:58 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 12:27 -0700, Tom Mitchell wrote:

> > You get the option to press any key within a timeframe which you can
> > specify in grub.conf to display the menu.
>
> This is easy enough for us but is this the situation
> we want untrained users in.  i.e.  Default kernel does
> not boot the new kernel and the presence of a new kernel
> is not notified.
>
> N.B. The "red hat network alert notification tool"
> will tell users that there is a newer kernel and
> advise them to reboot.  These instructions are not
> sufficient for the untrained because the reboot will
> not boot the new kernel.

Thats why I suggested that "hiddenmenu" plus "latest kernel becomes
boots as default" was a safe choice for stable releases, which, I'm
assuming, is what "less experienced user" are probably going to use.

But then again, "hiddenmenu" should only be set as default (by the
installer) if the user is only using fedora. If Windows and/or other OS
are detected, then obviously, the menu should be visible.

Regards,
--
Ricardo Veguilla <veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu>