Config modified?

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Tue Oct 12 22:57:42 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 18:07 -0400, Charles R. Anderson wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 03:47:00PM -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> > If it's just a configuration file change, why not up2date and create an
> > "rpmsave" or "rpmnew" file as appropriate? And how do I fix this?
>
> up2date defaults to not updating packages whose config files have
> changed.  You can change this in up2date-config (System Settings->Red
> Hat Network Configuration).

Since when? RPM's default behavior for *years* has been to upgrade the
package and then either create an rpmnew config file so you can migrate
in your changes, or save your old config in an rpmsave file for the same
purpose. I've never seen it flat-out *refuse* to upgrade something
before.

Think of it from a beginner user's point of view (which I'm not, but
Fedora is not "experts-only" so we should try to be friendly to them).
If up2date refuses to even get me the new package, how am I supposed to
get beyond this? Go fire up my trusty command-line FTP client, go to
mirror, find the file, download it, use cpio to extract the config file,
diff it, *then* update the package?

I liked the old behavior one hell of a lot better. I don't see this
being very user-friendly at all, but rather more of an obstacle to most
users getting their packages updated.

Or am I missing something?

Cheers,

--