question about rawhide mozilla packaging on x86_64

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 12:01:14 UTC 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 20:26:55 -0600, Michal Jaegermann
<michal at harddata.com> wrote:
> Indeed 'rpm -qRlp mozilla-nspr-1.7.3-13.i386.rpm' does not list
> anything obvious but this morning yum definitely barfed on me
> in an attempt of an update.  It was complaining about missing
> mozilla-1.7.3-13.i386.rpm "which is not available" (indeed) but
> required by these other two packages.  It went through two
> or three dependency resolution loops before coming to that
> conclusion.

Before you conclude its a real packaging problem, you need to see if
this happens with
rpm -Uvh on the commandline instead of via yum. And if its not
happening with rpm -Uvh  but it happens in yum, then you need to test
the process in up2date as well.  And you'll have to revert back to the
packages you currently have installed to do the testing right, so make
sure you have the current versions as well as the new versions on
hand. You will want to make sure this is reproducible again and again,
and that will require reverting back to old packages if rpm -U or
up2date is successful. You need to try to isolate exactly where the
problem is. If both yum and up2date see the problem but rpm -Uvh does
not that would be a strong indicator to me that the problem is caused
by changes in rpm-libs package rpm -q rpm-libs    if its -10 or ealier
you might be seeing bug that has been fixed and if its -12 you might
be seeing a new bug associated with the fix to an old bug.
rpm-libs-4.3.2-10 definetely had a bug which affected dependence
resolution in both yum and up2date at least on x86, so if you have -10
installed i would just update to -12 and try again as a first step.
And if you see the problem with rpm -Uvh on the commandline rerun it
with rpm -Uvv  and capture the resulting verbose output.

-jef