Web server slows whole network

Joe Borne joe.borne at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 15:45:40 UTC 2004

I have a box running Fed Core 2 final that is my web server. It's not
taking much traffic because it's mainly for family use. I get mayb 200
hits a day total.

However, as soon as I turn on httpd the ping time to my local ISP DNS
server goes up from 70-150ms to more like 800-1200 ms. This effects
every PC, Mac or Linux box on my home network. The effect on web
browsing is significant. Turning off httpd causes it to immediately
resume the faster speed.

Can anyone tell me the cause of this and how I might address it?

Thanks in advance,

Joe