question about rawhide mozilla packaging on x86_64

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Oct 13 16:56:13 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 08:01:14AM -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 20:26:55 -0600, Michal Jaegermann
> <michal at harddata.com> wrote:
> > Indeed 'rpm -qRlp mozilla-nspr-1.7.3-13.i386.rpm' does not list
> > anything obvious
>
> Before you conclude its a real packaging problem, you need to see
> if this happens with rpm -Uvh on the commandline instead of via
> yum.

I did not conclude anything.  I am scratching my head and I was
unable to reproduce the problem either with yum or by doing rpm
operations straight from a command line; although the rpm part was
likely not evident from what I wrote elsewhere in this thread.

The only thing with rpm is that if one is trying to install,
currently absent, i386 variants of packages then one needs to use
'--oldpackages' flag because rpm sees newer versions of x86_64
equivalents and is unhappy.  Once past that hurdle everything is
fine and results as expected.

Over years I have seen a number of instances when rpm databases
got more or less serious hiccups.  Maybe this was one of these
cases?  I see no predicable way to get a content of /var/lib/rpm/
in the previous state.  Just adding back old packages is not
good enough.

   Michal