Smaller /boot?

Tom Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 13 22:15:27 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 03:06:50PM -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 14:31 -0400, William Hooper wrote:
> > Not to disagree that the suggestion could be lower (just a quick look
> > shows my used space at ~25MB) but, a major part of the RULE project (and I
> > imagine other low-end focused spin-offs) is the custom installer.  If the
> > hardware is such that RULE is needed, changing Anaconda won't make a
> > difference.  Anaconda should stay focused on the "Recommended" standard,
> > not the "Minimum" standard.
> >

> If I were suggesting this change based on RULE and/or similar projects,
> I would entirely agree with you. However, my point is that I see quite a
> few installed systems that are pretty short on space and that have 90%
> (or 95%) free space in their /boot partitions.
>
> My interest is based on hunting for (even small) improvements I can
> suggest to improve the experience of many users with Fedora Core,...

IIRC, For people with small disk drives there should be no special
need for a /boot partition.  The most valuable part of having /boot is
to work with old BIOS code that can only address the early part of
larger disks.  For those machines the bootstrap process needs 'linux'
to live on blocks within the addressing range of the BIOS.  The best
way to ensure this has been a separate partition ("/boot") located at
the beginning of the disk.

Perhaps, It would be nice to add 'VERY-tiny' to the list of possible
installation sets down under custom.  I suspect that some package
decisions make "VERY-tiny" harder to do than talk about.  Perhaps if
someone dusted off the list of tools in a old version of Unix...

Most of the minimum set of tools are in the rescue CDROM or CDROM#1
Perhaps a hack to install from that first CDROM.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	May your cup runneth over with goodness and mercy