USB thumb drive question...

Dave Mack dmack at leviatron.com
Wed Oct 13 23:46:50 UTC 2004

Jerone Young wrote:

>One bug today.... another bug tommorow. Average users could care less
>about SELinux, so why have it on, if it's just going to cause
>potential issues for average users.

Consider this quote from the Fedora Project web site:

"The Fedora Project is a Red-Hat-sponsored and community-supported open
source project. It is also a proving ground for new technology that may
eventually make its way into Red Hat products. It is not a supported
product of Red Hat, Inc."

The important phrase is "proving ground for new technology". It should
come as no surprise then that SELinux is expected to be present in Red
Hat Enterprise Linux 4. Fedora wouldn't be much of a proving ground for
new technology if that technology was turned off by default.

I don't work for Red Hat - this my personal interpretation of the
system. I think it's a fair deal. We get a completely free, completely
open source, and pretty much maintained version of Linux and RH gets a
boatload of alpha/beta testers. The downside (if it is one) is that some
aspects of Fedora are going to look quite a lot like next year's version
of RHEL.