Question: Where is the dnsdomainname set?

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu Oct 14 06:45:36 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 10:52:02PM -0400, TGS wrote:

> I cannot figure out where in a GUI the dnsdomainname is set. I thought that
> it get set via the /etc/sysconfig/network file, but on my system my hostname
> is returning (none). As I look at the file, it seems to be okay, with the
> domain name entry.

If you are getting your network configuration data via DHCP then
DHCP server may pass that information, and few other things as well,
to you possibly in a cooperation with a DNS server.

> It is derived via the
> /etc/hosts file, and the hosts entry tab of the network config GUI?

Look at scripts in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ (if you are D&D
fan then this can be pretty entertaining in places :-).

   Michal