Should I bugzilla this?

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Fri Oct 15 23:30:07 UTC 2004

Hi:

I've just noticed that the wireless network adapter (802.11b) on my IBM
Thinkpad T23 is correctly detected, started, and working on FC3-T3 as a
regular Ethernet adapter and labeled "eth1". From memory, it was *also*
treated as a regular Ethernet adapter in FC2.

However, because it's considered an "eth" and not a "wlan" the options
in System Settings -> Network (system-config-network?) are only those
for wired Ethernet. The options for SSID, channel, WAP keys... those are
not shown.

Should I bugzilla this? If so, what information would be useful to the
developers so that I may include it in the bug report? This card is
shown in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf like this:

class: NETWORK
bus: PCI
detached: 0
device: eth1
driver: orinoco_pci
desc: "Intersil Corporation Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset"
vendorId: 1260
deviceId: 3873
subVendorId: 1668
subDeviceId: 0406
pciType: 1
pcidom:    0
pcibus:  2
pcidev:  2
pcifn:  0

The output of "lspci" as root includes this line:

02:02.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation Prism 2.5 Wavelan
chipset (rev 01)

I can see with "lsmod" that the hermes, orinoco, and orinoco_pci modules
are loaded. Nothing else in the list looks related, but I can provide
the whole list if necessary.

Finally, /etc/modprobe.conf has:

alias eth1 orinoco_pci

Please advise whether Bugzilla is the right path (sure looks that way to
me), and if so whether I should include more information than what I
have here, and how to get it.

Thanks!

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>