CD Drive Not found....

Diahron Grismore diahron at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 16 19:21:48 UTC 2004

I found out that the KDE and Gnome are conflicting. You can not access
the drive when attempting to Add/Remove Applications but you can read
what's on the drive after it starts up with the {Music}CD reader. For
some reason access rights are being put on the cdrom drive that causes
this problem. To work around this, I switched into the KDE environment
(under root), opened the CDrom music controller program changed
permissions and made everything 'default.' Switched back into user and
it started to working. As stated in other posts: 'Mileage may vary!'
Also, when it ask for you to install needed disk, do not get in a hurry-
wait until the disk is in and the led light(s) go out. Not doing this
will only cause the 'drive not accessible error to pop up! Just wait,
and then hit the OK button and it should start reading the drive.
Certainly they will fix this problem(only when doing Add/Remove) soon.
Once you get it to work, it doe not matter which environment you work
in.
--
Cars, TV's, software it all breaks ... but we get to keep our cash!