[ANNOUNCE] Aurora Build-1.92 (Code Name Tangerine)

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Sat Oct 16 23:40:23 UTC 2004

Hi folks,

We now have a full set of sparc packages that match up to Fedora Core 2,
and its name is Tangerine. Did you know that of the top ten hits for
Tangerine on Google, none of them have anything to do with the fruit?
You should eat more tangerines, they're quite tasty and good for you.
But I digress.

Like the previous release (1.91), its not an installable tree
so again this means no ISOs.

I'm going to repeat this one more time: THERE ARE NO ISOS FOR 1.92.

Why? Because anaconda is hard, and people didn't want to wait another 6
months for me to figure out what is broken. However, if anyone is willing
to try on their own to get this working, we're happily accepting patches.

But, unless someone else takes up the charge, this tree branch will stop
at 1.92. If someone fixes anaconda so that the installer actually works past
keyboard selection, I'll spin a new tree.

In the meantime, we're refocusing the effort on a new tree, which is
currently going to be based on Fedora Core 3. You can follow the daily
notes for this work here: http://auroralinux.org/journal.php

Now, I have yumified the tree, so if you're feeling really brave, you
can always point yum at it, and try to upgrade that way. A version of
yum for Aurora 1.0 is here:
http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/download/1.0/yum-1.0.3-1_73.noarch.rpm

If you're running 1.91, you should be able to use the yum in that tree.
Going from 1.91 to 1.92 is reportedly a fairly painless process.

If you're a listed mirror site, please sync the build-1.92 directory,
and chime in. The primary directory is currently at:
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/aurora/build-1.92/ (and)
ftp://auroralinux.org/pub/aurora/build-1.92/

Now, for the known bugs:

The "rpm" package in 1.92 is a little broken on sparc32 systems. Its my fault.
Fixed packages are already available from:
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/aurora/updates/1.92/ (and)
ftp://auroralinux.org/pub/aurora/updates/1.92/

A temporary workaround is to run: export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5.

Build 1.92 uses SILO 1.4.8 which should work fine. It seems to occasionally
burp when you're trying to tab completion, but I can't reproduce this
consistently. If it breaks for you, let me know.

There is no SMP kernel for sparc32, upstream has marked this as broken.

Any other bugs that you find? Please either email me or file them in
bugzilla.auroralinux.org, under Corona.

Last but not least, we've setup a hardware support matrix Wiki to keep track
of what works and what doesn't. You can find it here:
http://auroralinux.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HardwareCompatibility

Thanks for your continued patience and support,

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa(a)redhat*com> LCA, RHCE
Red Hat Sales Engineer || Aurora SPARC Linux Project Leader

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
- Sir Winston Churchill