Volume settings not being saved on reboot

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 02:24:53 UTC 2004

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 00:52:02 -0500, Jerone Young <jerone at gmail.com> wrote:
> When I reboot my machine my PCM volume settings are not being saved

My understanding is the volume settings ARE being saved.
The problem comes at restoring the settings.  I've been told there is
a problem negotiating the on module load actions in the udev-ified
world. The alsactl restore
command, is being run before udev has created the device nodes. As a
result the settings are not restored and the default alsa settings are
used (ie zero volume)
running alsactl restore from rc.local is a quick hack to make sure you
are restoring the volume on boot.

Worse... because the alsactl store command does work on module
unload... when you shutdown the computer the alsa settings are being
stored. So if you dont manually correct the sound problem and reboot
you end up saving the zero volume state. Not that it matters really
because the restore process isnt working.

There are deep ramifications here about how modprobe.conf logic is
suppose to work with any udev controlled device, and not just
soundcards.

-jef