Giving the console the same permissions as an X session

Kevin Freeman kfreem02 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 17 03:30:01 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 20:11 +0100, Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> To enable all users on my office box access to audio, I need to alter
> the console permissions to be the same as the X session permissions
> (usually as I have something running on a console which would mean that
> me as a user would still have the control over the audio device).
>
> How do I do this?

I use the following to enable multiple users to share sound and a TV
card:

Create new groups sound and video and add to them all local users
needing access to these devices.  Then modify audio and video device
permissions (see below) to allow multiple local users to access these
devices.  You can use the same technique to allow shared access to
scanners, usb memory, cameras, etc.

In /etc/security/console.perms, edit sound and video permissions as
follows:
<console>  0660 <sound>      0660 root.sound
<console>  0660 <v4l>        0660 root.video

You will have to reboot or manually modify the device file permissions
for the change to take effect.

Happy sharing,
Kevin