udev/hal/mkinitrd from development broke

Allen Kistler an037-0m26i at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 17 17:45:41 UTC 2004

Marius Andreiana wrote:
> On FC3t2 I updated gnome-vfs2 to development, and it also installed
> hal,mkinitrd,udev to
> udev-038-1
> hal-0.4.0-2
> mkinitrd-4.1.15-1
> gnome-vfs2-2.8.2-4
> hal-gnome-0.4.0-2
>
> [snip]

I don't get those errors.  Instead I get

ERROR: /sbin/udevstart exited abnormally!

Both in the initrd and (I think) right after starting rc.sysinit.
You have to watch for the error to go by during boot, because it isn't
recorded in any log files.  I haven't actually found anything that
doesn't work, but I haven't looked that hard yet.

udevstart after the machine is up runs without error.