Character encoding?

Kjartan Maraas kmaraas at broadpark.no
Sun Oct 17 23:14:31 UTC 2004

lør, 16,.10.2004 kl. 09.32 +0200, skrev Matias Féliciano:
> Le vendredi 15 octobre 2004 à 16:28 -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz a écrit :
> > On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 19:27 +0200, Matias Féliciano wrote:
> > > Perhaps you use UTF8 and windows clients do not support UTF8.
> > > Check <tools><parameters...><mail preference> in evolution.
> > >

> > Did Evolution move to UTF-8 in 2.0.x? If so, then I acquired this
> > behavior when I installed FC3-T2, which would make sense.
> >
> > Since I'm not likely to change the Windows world in the near future, are
> > there any suggested workarounds?
>
> Yes. Check <tools><parameters...><mail preference> in evolution.
> In French (because my current locale) :
> menu : <Outils>
> Sub-menu : <paramètres>
> tab : <préférences du courrier>
> Widget : <codage des caractères par défaut>
>

> >  Can I add a header to my email so they
> > will see the right characters?
>
> Normally this should be already done.
> Here I have : "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8"
>
> >  Or must *I* switch character sets to
> > humor them?
>
> You want to talk to Windows, so talk the Windows language and unset
> UTF-8 :-)

Windows handles UTF-8 just fine, but some mail clients don't. This goes
for older Linux distros as well as other OSes. I've had no problems with
Outlook and UTF-8 the last couple of years (since Outlook 2000) and we
hit this bump in the road bigtime when we switched messaging platforms
and decided to go with UTF-8 as the default encoding two years ago.

Things are looking better now though, but the major pain in the butt is
the amount of broken webmail systems installed at various ISPs.

Cheers
Kjartan