Installing the " ç " in the U.S International Keyboard in Fedora Core 3

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Mon Oct 18 17:10:54 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 06:49 -0300, romildo at uber.com.br wrote:
> I do not think so. This has alread been discussed when the
> change happened. As there are languages with the "C with
> acute accent" character, it looked more natural to bind the
> <'> <C> sequence to it in th us_intl keyboard map in X11.

Indeed. It does sound reasonable, although it pains me somewhat since I
use the cedilla frequently in Portuguese and French, and the AltGr key
has always felt like an uncomfortable kludge.

As a personal preference, I would like the cedilla on the '+c key combo
and the acute-accented c on the AltGr, based on the argument that *I*
like it better that way and that there are likely a lot more people
using the cedilla than using the accented c.

However, I will throw up my hands and resign myself to the AltGr cedilla
since, after all, the change was intended to be logical and fair. Sigh.

Trivia detail: *when* was this change implemented?

Cheers,

> This works for me with LANG set to "en_US.ISO8859-1".

AltGr+, then c works for me as well in LANG=en_US.UTF-8.

More sighs.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>