system reboot always after upgrade kernel

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Wed Oct 20 08:21:26 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 02:44 -0200, Brunno Pessoa wrote:
> andrew, thank you so much for your help!
>
> yes! I do have both kernel version in my machines!
>
> [root at localhost bcampos]# rpm -q kernel
> kernel-2.6.7-1.478
> kernel-2.6.8-1.624
>
> I remember I had edited my grub.conf after kernel update, because I
> thought the lines for the previous kernel version would be useless
> (!!!), so I am a afraid of editing this again and commit a mistake.
> This is my grub.conf file:

> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
file
> # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> #          root (hd0,1)
> #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda3
> #          initrd /initrd-version.img
> #boot=/dev/hda
> default=1
> timeout=15
> splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> hiddenmenu
> title Fedora Core (2.6.8-1.624)
>       root (hd0,1)
>       kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8-1.624 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
>       initrd /initrd-2.6.8-1.624.img
> title Windows XP
>       rootnoverify (hd0,0)
>       chainloader +1

> All I have to do is to append this to the file (could be after
Windows):

> title Fedora Core (2.6.7-1.478)
>       root (hd0,1)
>       kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.7-1.478 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
>       initrd /initrd-2.6.7-1.478.img

> In other words, copying and pasting the Fedora's 2.6.8-1.624
> definitions to the end of the file, and replacing 2.6.8-1.624 with
> 2.6.7-1.478 ? The other parameters remain unchanged?
>
> Thank you very, very much! and I'm sorry for these stupids newbie's
> questions! =)
>
> Brunno

Yes, that is correct.  You may want to keep the -1.624 kernel installed,
your choice, at least its one second kernel that partially works in case
your system gets damaged.

If you remove the 624 kernel the entries for it will be removed
automatically.  If you put your -1.478 kernel entry in, below the 624
entry, and above the windows entry you will be putting it in position 1.
Set the default to 1.  Removing the 624 kernel afterwards will fix the
default kernel setting to zero.

If you put it after the windows entry it will be in position 2.

--
Andrew Farris (lordmorgul) <andrew at andrewfarris.com>
- CPE student, Cal Poly SLO, pgp keyid 4430F405 pgp.mit.edu