Firefox won't open local folder

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Wed Oct 20 10:34:57 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 02:36 -0500, Grant Limberg wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:59:08 +1000, Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au> wrote:
> > Where should I file the following bug:
> >
> > Firefox won't open a local file.

Ooops, that should have been folder (not file)

> > Steps to reproduce:
> >
> > 1. Open Firefox.
> > 2. Select File > Open File...
> > 3. Select a Folder from the filesystem.
> >
> > What happens:
> >
> > The file chooser opens the folder in the file chooser to select a file
> > from the folder to open.
> >
> > What should happen:
> >
> > Firefox should open the folder displaying it's contents in the browser
> > window.  This is a perfectly reasonable thing to expect it to do.
>
> Sorry to dissapoint you, but Firefox is a web browser, not a
> filesystem browser.  It wasn't made to perform such a task, and I
> doubt it ever will.

Actually Firefox will happily open (view) a folder on your local file
system.

Try opening file:///home/<yourhome> in firefoxes location bar.

Alternatively, you can drag and drop folders from your desktop or
nautilus to firefox and it will list the content of the folder (but
strangely this doesn't work with the HOME icon).

In my case I have bookmarked a folder that I use as the root for a
multimedia CD we're producing using scripts that parse files and produce
a html based CD.  The last one was very well reviewed because it worked
well and was able to 'run' across a range of platforms, instead of just
working on Windows (and possibly Mac).

Sadly, while Firefox will happily display the contents of folders, the
file-picker will not open a folder, but only files.  If you want to open
a folder, then you have to pick a file and then make changes manually in
the location bar to view the contents of folders.

I'm asking were to file the bug, because Firefoxes standing file chooser
has been replaced with the GTK+-2.4 File Chooser and as such it may be a
bug for each firefox, redhat (or both).

Rodd
--
>From the pain come the dream