yum version 2.1.9-1

Paul Nasrat pnasrat at redhat.com
Wed Oct 20 11:45:34 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 12:43 +0200, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> On Die, 2004-10-19 at 19:15 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 00:49 +0200, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> > > yum-2.1.9 now downloads headers for packages to be updated before asking
> > > if it is ok to proceed. Is this really necessary?
> >
> > Yes, B/c otherwise we cannot resolve dependencies.
>
> I thought dependency resolution was done using repodata.

Yes and no.

Headers are downloaded in order to pack a transaction for ts.check(),
currently rpm-python offers no way to generate headers, so the real
thing is needed.

I think everyone should be able to see[0] the performance gain to using
the repo metadata in yum 2.1.x

Paul

[0] Except on certain low memory machines where performance is probably
equivalent to yum 2.0.x