yum version 2.1.9-1

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 18:05:16 UTC 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:13:13 -0400, Henry Hartley
<henryhartley at westat.com> wrote:
> What am I suppose to do here?
gpgsig checking has been turned on by default in yum.conf now.
development packages are made available before they are signed
So:
A)So either you are seeing a problem with unsigned packages in the
development tree
Or
B)You dont have the key for the development tree imported into rpm

It's most likely A since im not seeing a signature listed in rpm -qi cups.

> Second, every yum run now seems to load something from somewhere that takes
> a significant amount of time.  The lines look like:
>
> MD Read   : ##...#### 3430/3430
> Developmen: ##...#### 3430/3430

Every run of yum?  I dont see that happening.  My understanding that
the logic behind the "MD Read" step was added specifically to make
repeated runs of yum faster, if a repository has not changed. If a
repository has changed since the last run of yum the new xml metadata
has to be parsed, there is no way around that.
So if you run yum only once a day against the development tree... you
won't see a benefit here because the development tree changes every
day. If you run yum in a cronjob in a clever way, so all its doing is
pulling metadata somewhat perioudicly and building the cached binary
pickle object(s), any subsequent run of yum will use the cached pickle
if it can to save you time.

Then again... using the newest version of yum im not seeing the "MD
Read:" step anylonger so i have no idea if my understanding is now
out-dated again.

-jef