Network Servers (where is my workgroup?)

Andrew cmkrnl at speakeasy.net
Wed Oct 20 21:37:26 UTC 2004

Hi,

You don't have to open high-ports.

add 137:udp and 138:udp (for netbios-ns and netbios-dgm) to your firewall. An iptstate I just did shows a 137/udp for both src and dest to my WINS server., and various 138/udp all over the subnet. You do have an WINS server running on the network right?  If you do your /etc/samba/smb.conf file should have the following

   wins server = nn.nn.nn.nn
where nn.nn.nn.nn is your WINS server.   If this Samba server is doing the name serving, then you need to have this line
   wins support = yes
(not commented out) and then you must comment out the
   wins server = nn.nn.nn.nn
line (since you can't be a name server client and server at the same time)
Plus you should make sure your
domain master = no
and
preferred master = no
or are both commented out (unless you are going to be the domain master or subnet master "browse-list" master.)

Here is mine running as a client (notice the comment ";")
/etc/samba/smb.conf
# Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
# WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's WINS Server
;   wins support = yes

# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
#       Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT both
   wins server = 192.168.50.127

Hope this helps.  - Plus FWIW, Network Neighborhood never really did work right even in an all Windows world  -- that's why they went with a directory service in W2K.

Andrew